Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm walkin'. Yes, indeed.

(Note: this draft was written on 10/8/09 and published today.  I'm nothing if not timely.)

When I was 16 years old, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease, or PKD.  It is a hereditary disease that causes the kidneys to form numerous cysts, and overtime the cysts can cause decreased kidney function leading to dialysis or transplantation.  Each year a walk is held and is the biggest fundraiser in helping to find a cure. 

This past weekend, October 4th, was the walk in our area.  I was so blessed to once again this year have a great turnout.  We had 12 people participate on our team and raised almost $2,000!  Special thanks to Brad and Kim for going above and beyond and taking it upon themselves to raise their own donations totaling $400!  Did I mention that I have GREAT friends?!

After Sunday School and a hearty breakfast at the Cracker Barrel (who doesn't love good country cookin'?), we made the drive up the road to where the walk was held.  It was a beautiful park with a paved 2 mile trail encircling a lake.  The weather was gorgeous and we all managed to make it around the lake with not one person falling in the water, passing out or spraining an ankle.  That's what I call a success!

To learn more about PKD, visit the website at http://www.pkdcure.org/.   

What a good looking group!



No comments:

Post a Comment